Friday, January 29, 2010

Hudson’s new potty chair

For several weeks now Hudson has been talking a lot about going potty and telling us when he’s poopy, so I decided we would start working on some early potty training.  So I would occasionally put him up on the toilet and tell him to go potty.  Only thing was he is scared to sit on the toilet and prefers to stand on the seat instead.  So I decided it was time to get him his own potty before we made too much of a habit of that! 

I did some online shopping and found him the perfect potty chair as you’ll see in the video.  He loves it.  As soon as I took it out of the box he knew exactly what it was and how to use it (well, to a certain degree anyways!)

From the beginning he seemed to kind of understand the concept that something is supposed to go into the potty, he just didn’t understand where it comes from or what it is.  When we would stand him up on the toilet seat he would lean over, spit and then say “need to flush.”  As you’ll see a little bit of in the video. (Please note the potty chair has never been used in this video – hence my allowing him to stick his hands and face inside the potty!)

Last week I think he made a breakthrough as to the whole concept of going potty.  I have been taking him in to use his potty chair occasionally when we change his diaper so he gets the feel for doing so without his diaper on and we were in there for awhile.  He likes to use the big potty and the little potty – mostly because his favorite part is flushing.  So we went back and forth a few times then I went to throw his wet diaper in the trash and he took off running into the living room.  When I came back in I heard him from the dining room saying “Mommy, what happened?”  I knew, even before I saw him, what had happened.  Sure enough, I go in and he’s standing in a puddle, pointing down at the floor saying “What happened?”  !!!!!  So I made a big deal about him going potty and next time we will do that in the potty chair and I think something might have clicked for him when he actually saw himself potty on the floor! 

One other cute thing to note is his “sigh” of relief as he sits down on the potty. 

No comments: