Monday, September 13, 2010

apple pickin’

On Saturday the whole family went apple picking!  Some friends have a small apple orchard and a machine to make apple cider, so we spent the morning out there.  It was a great time!  

 apple picking 004

Is this a good one mom?

There were lots of rotten apples on the ground already and rather than trying to climb the trees to pick the apples, the boys would get up in one and shake it, and then we’d pick up the good apples that had just fallen off.

apple picking 007

of course, the kids did pick a few!

 apple picking 008

But it was hard work!

apple picking 016 apple picking 019

apple picking 022 apple picking 033

Then they discovered how delicious they were to eat! 

apple picking 023 

apple picking 024 apple picking 028  

We couldn’t get Callista to try one for a long time but once she did there was no stopping her!  I think she ate about 5 of them while we were out there!

apple picking 038    apple picking 042 apple picking 052

apple picking 054

Washing the apples

apple picking 058

Grinding them up into mush…

apple picking 059

and we have apple juice!!!

apple picking 063

The juice is really good.  I froze a whole bunch to save for hot apple cider in the fall and I’m going to make apple butter with some apples I brought home later today!  YUM!!

No comments: