Thursday, January 27, 2011

cautiously optimistic

That's how I'm kind of feeling today.  Hudson is definitely on the mend.  He's outside right now playing in the sunshine.  We've started letting him eat a little more variety of foods today as well.  Only concern with him at this point is that he hasn't had a bm since the nasty, painful one Tuesday afternoon.  We're worried what the next one will be like.

Tate, on the other hand, we just can't decide.  Thankfully, he hasn't gotten any worse than he was 2 nights ago, but he's still dealing with a lot of stomach stuff.  His tummy is just rumbling and he's in some pain.  His temperature got up to 99.6 today - that's the highest it's been.  We haven't taken him in to the doctor yet. We called and spoke to the nurse yesterday and she said not to bring him in unless the temp got to be over 100 or he wasn't eating well.  We did, per her instructions, start giving him half breastmilk/half pedialyte in his bottles.  That is to replace what he was losing with the diarrhea and also because the pedialyte is easier to digest, so it would be gentler on his upset tummy.  But she said to only do it for a day so we are weaning him off of it now - using less in each bottle.  And his tummy seems more upset now than it was this morning...Since it digests faster, he's been eating more often.  And he has not  been sleeping well.  He's probably only slept maybe 2 hours today total - and at least half of that has been in my arms. 

Jamie and I seem to have kept this one at bay (knock on wood).  Hopefully there aren't any more germs lurking in our house.  Don't know how there could be with all the clorox and hand sanitizer we have used!  Jamie has done at least 15 loads of laundry this week - between washing blankets, towels, clothes that have been thrown up on and all of Tate's laundry.  That's got to be more laundry than he's done in the whole 10.5 years we have been married! 

We kept Hudson downstairs and Tate in his room and one of us was with each of them.  Jamie and I would switch off after half a day or so.  I find it interesting that it seemed like Hudson would always get sick within 5 minutes of Jamie taking over for me.  So he got thrown up (and pooped) on a lot more than I did this time around. I usually had Tate at night and Jamie slept downstairs with Hudson.  A few nights ago we switched and Jamie took Tate.  He didn't like it cause he had to get up every few hours but I didn't like it either cause I ended up not holding (and hardly seeing) Tate for almost 18 hours straight.  I thought he looked bigger once I got to hold him again!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you think he is in pain you probably should take hi to the dr as he could have a bowel obstruction or twisted bowel or it may just be from the bug. Have you tried a warm rice bag on his tummy to see if that helps the pain? just some thoughts.
Bingq