Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why us?

Is this ever going to end?  Now it's Tate we're worried about.  So far it's not a full blown anything, but he's starting to show some signs.  Please, God, no.  Tate didn't sleep well this afternoon and has had watery - more than usual- stools.  His stomach has gurgled all afternoon too.  The highest temp he's had has been 99.4 - but I've gotten 2 normal ones since then...he's still urinating fine (and all over me everytime I change him!) and is actually eating more (up to 70 mls today) and more often this afternoon.  So we don't know for sure.  The eating and urinating are good things.  The watery and more frequent stools is not, but it's hard to tell with a newborn...So I'm settling in for a long night of probably holding him all night -or at least checking on him a lot more often- just in case.  He has been crying a lot more - but that seems to be because he's hungrier than usual.  The food calms him down anyways.  But occasionally he gives out what sounds like a pain scream.  I thought he was going to vomit a little bit ago.  He gagged but after I sat him up and took his paci out and patted his back, he burped.  So maybe that's all it was.  Maybe I am just making way too much of every little thing.  But can you blame me after what we've been through?  We will wait and see. 

Thankfully, Hudson is doing much better this evening.  He started drinking and urinating yesterday after the suppository we gave him (Now, that's an experience I hope we don't have to do it again.  We've given him 4-5 now and it's awful each time.).  So we didn't have to take him to the ER.  In fact, he was begging for food yesterday evening and we wouldn't let him eat much.  Today he did great till about 4 pm, and then started complaining about his stomach again.  This time it was coming out the other end again and it was painful.  But he finally did it.  So I'm hoping that was the last of his bug. 

Funny story:  This afternoon my mom came over to help me with Hudson.  She stayed downstairs with him all afternoon while I was up with Tate most of the time.  (We have pretty much kept Hudson quarantined downstairs and Tate in isolation in his room.)  Hudson was asking Gigi for something to eat...
Hudson: "can I have cheerios?"
Gigi: "I'll ask your mom what you can have to eat."
Hudson: "If she says toast or water we have to trick her."
He's definitely feeling better!

I am ready for all this to be over.  We've gone through at least 4 rolls of paper towels, 3 bottles of antibacterial handsoap, 2 tubes of Clorox wipes and lots of hand sanitizer.  You just have to see our hands if you want proof.  We have washed them raw.  They were bad while Tate was in the NICU from washing our hands all the time there but this is a lot worse.  Hand lotion helps, but since "lotion is for chicks", Jamie's are pretty bad.  Hand sanitizer just burns really bad at this point.
  



Thankfully I seem to have fought it off - but Jamie's not felt the greatest today.  If he gets worse it will make things even more interesting around here.  In the midst of all of this we had two other crazy things happen on Friday night.  I was giving Hudosn his bath and when I went to turn the water off the faucet handle snapped and broke off - with the water still running.  Jamie ended up having toturn the hot water off so that it was just trickling into the tub.  So we went all night without hot water.  Only issue with tha was washing our hands was really cold and we had to warm up the water in the microwave to use to warm up Tate's bottles.  Wasn't so bad.  Then Saturday they had to turn the water completely off for awhile to work on it.  (Really bad when you have a sick kid and are as obsessed as I am with washing your hands...)But then, of course, it turned out the part we needed to fix it had to be ordered and won't be in till next Tuesday...but they were able to fix it for now so that we have running water - and hot water- again.

About an hour after that happened, I had Tate in the bassinet beside our bed.  Jamie was downstairs with Hudson.  I had the lights off and was pumping and had the laptop on my lap.  Tate started fussing and next thing I hear a crash.  His bassinet broke!  I'm fumbling around getting the pump off, throwing the laptop off, turning the lights on.  Tate's not crying anymore so I don't know what that means...The bassinet had come off the stand on one end and that end was down on the ground while the other end was still up in the stand.  Tate's head was on the end towards the ground.  But he was just lying there looking around.  I think it shocked him.  I picked him up and laid him on the bed ot check him out.  He never made a sound, his eyes were huge and his lips were in a big 'O'.  But other than a little scared, he was fine.  So we aren't using the bassinet anymore and Tate has moved into his crib in his room.  A little earlier than I had planned.  I'd still rather have him beside me so I can check on him easier at night, but I'm not putting him back in that bassinet!

So that's where we are at right now.  Thankfully Tate has been asleep for almost 2 hours straight now.  That's the most since early this afternoon.  Praying he sleeps well, eats well and we're worrying about nothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Use Auquofor. It is a cream and it also works great on diaper rash.
Binga