They also came in and did a bio physical profile on the baby. It’s a sonogram that lasts 30 minutes but rather than measuring baby’s size and those kind of things they give the baby an “internal” APGAR score based on the things he does. I am not sure exactly everything they were looking for but some of it was movement, the baby’s chest inhaling and exhaling, fluid levels, etc. We knew up front we wouldn’t get a perfect score since I didn’t have much fluid left, but the baby did great on everything else.
What I had thought was going to be the highlight of my day was finally getting to take a shower. It felt wonderful to wash my hair – I had one of those permanent creases across the back of my head from wearing it in a ponytail for so many days. Plus since I wasn’t on constant monitoring anymore I was able to put on some of my own clothes rather than continuing to wear the wonderful hospital gown. So we did all of that by noon and I was feeling really good.
This was also Jamie’s first time to go back to work. He was working from 2-6 pm and had 20 patients scheduled from having cancelled all the patients on Monday. So he left about 1 to go to work and my mom and Gammy were with me for awhile and then left so I could take a nap. Before they left I had noticed that I had started leaking a lot of fluid again but I talked to the nurse and she said it could just be the way I was sitting and then when I moved it was coming out. So she wasn’t concerned. So I decided to lay down and read and I hadn’t been laying down for more than 5 minutes before the first contraction hit. And this was a painful one – hard enough I had to do some breathing through it. I was hoping it was just random so I just continued to read but it wasn’t 5 minutes later another one hit. Just as hard as the first. So I called the nurse and she came in and immediately hooked me up to the monitors. It confirmed that I was having contractions so I made my first phone call to Jamie. Of course, this was our worst case scenario – I’d go into labor while he was at work and there was no one even in the room with me! He called his dad to come sit with me and I told Jamie I’d call him back after we talked to the resident. The resident came in and decided that since I was having contractions every 2.5-4 minutes and they were pretty strong that it was time to check me. I told her my husband was at work and asked if I should have him come back and she said yes. So his Dad called him and Jamie broke every speed limit and law driving back. But I was so glad to see him when he walked in. The contractions were coming very strong and I was having a hard time breathing through them. I told the resident I should have brushed up on my breathing techniques – I wasn’t ready for that yet! In the meantime they had checked me and I was already at a 4.
So they brought us the news that since I was already at a 4 and the contractions were so strong there was no way to stop the baby coming so we were going in for a c-section at 4 pm. So this all happened in less than 2 hours. Things were pretty crazy from there. Nurses everywhere hooking up my IV’s, changing my clothes, getting Jamie his scrubs, giving me meds, etc. And of course the whole time I’m contracting and focusing on getting through those. Then they wheeled me out of the room and down to the operating room….
No comments:
Post a Comment