Jamie went in to see Tate every couple hours and kept coming back with good reports. Today they started feeding him (breastmilk that I have been pumping) through a feeding tube. He gets 3 ml every 3 hours. He still is breathing great on his own. His bilirubin levels were a little high so they do have him under UV lights to get that down. They also are allowing us to hold him 2 times a day now - once every 12 hours - for about 30 minutes, as long as he tolerates the stimulation okay. So Jamie got to hold him for the first time about 3 pm this afternoon. He also got to change his diaper.
By evening I was determined to get to the NICU to hold Tate. I told Jamie he could just pick me up, throw me in the wheelchair, revive me if I pass out, and then wheel me down there. I didn't care by that point - I just wanted to get down there. The night nurse did promise that if I didn't make it down in the wheelchair she would wheel my bed down once things slowed down. But I took a painkiller with dinner and although I was still really dizzy when I got up, I made it to the wheelchair without passing out and once I sat there for a little bit was feeling good enough to go down to the NICU.
I was able to hold him for about 15 minutes and he woke up a little and looked at me. His eyes are the same grey color Hudson's were when he was a baby. And he has Hudson's nose and lips as well, I think. He definitely reminds me of Hudson when he was a newborn. His IV in his arm did come out so they moved it to a vein in the front of his head. I do not like looking at that. Looks painful but they said it's usually the best place and the easiest one to keep in. They fed him while we were there. They suction his stomach every time before they feed him the next feeding to make sure that he is digesting his food okay and he is doing fine with that.
The goal for tomorrow is to get myself out of bed and walking. I'm kind of torn about it because I know once I am up and moving they'll send me home and I don't want to leave since I have to leave without Tate. So the longer I am here is okay with me so that I can see him more often and easily. I am dreading leaving the hospital without him and still trying to figure out what we do from here. How often do we come back to visit? How long do we stay? They have "mother" rooms that I can stay in 24 hours so should I stay in those for awhile? Just lots of questions....
Hudson bought this little monkey for his baby brother. He got it at Build A Bear and when you squeeze its tummy it has a recording inside it that is Hudson saying "I love you baby brother!" Of course, the monkey is like 3 times the size of Tate!
1 comment:
So hard to be torn when wanting/needing to be in two places at once. These days can't pass fast enough. So thankful Tate is doing so well.
Post a Comment