Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 29, Sunday, December 12

Tate is 35 weeks old, gestationally, today. That means I technically should still have five weeks left to go in my pregnancy. And he’s already been here almost four weeks. Amazing to think about. The first part of November I had contacted a photographer about doing maternity shots but the timing didn’t work out, so we planned on doing them around Christmas. She just contacted me to see if I was still interested in doing them. Well….maybe baby pictures instead! I am, once again, really disappointed I didn’t take any. I had planned on doing some when I was pregnant with Hudson, but went into labor the same day I was going to take them. And they didn’t get done with Tate, for obvious reasons. So guess that means we’ll have to have another one so I can finally get some maternity pictures!


Since he’s 35 weeks it means he should start getting more and more interested in and better at nursing. The sucking reflex should really start to kick in and help him do better. He didn’t do great today though. He had a hard time latching and only sucked just a little bit. But I did get him to take 19 ml from his finger feed. He took 15 ml from Jamie at 9 pm on his finger feed. So he’s slowly making progress with the finger feeds. My plan is to try SNS with him tomorrow and see how he does with that. Tate weighs 1880 grams today – 4 pounds, 2.9 ounces. He gained two ounces today!

Jamie slept in till 11 this morning – some much needed rest for him! I wasn’t able to sleep that late but I did stay in bed till 9:30 – but my pumping schedule conflicted with trying to sleep any later. I’ve been dealing with a clogged milk duct the last day or two, I think. I’ve mostly noticed it because my milk supply is down in that side. It’s been a little painful, but not awful. I am trying some warm compresses and massage to try and get it unclogged. I am going to talk to the lactation department this week about renting a better pump for at home. Although I have the best one that you can purchase for at home use, it’s causing me quite a bit of pain. I don’t have any problems when I use the ones at the hospital, so I am going to see about renting one of those for awhile. Although I never used my pump more than 5 times with Hudson, the parts must wear out (it’s 3 years old now) cause it is very loud and painful to use.

Since Tate is now in an open air bed he has to wear clothes all the time so this morning I washed all the preemie outfits he has been given and brought them up to the hospital for him. He looks so cute! And some of them actually fit okay! That first outfit we put on him the other day just swallowed him up, but the ones he has worn the last day or two seem to fit much better.

Tonight I began working on organizing my storage area in the playroom, so that we can turn the playroom into my new office. Then the office upstairs is going to be Tate’s room. I organized the office a few nights ago – what a mess! So now I have to get all the baby stuff, Hudson’s stuff and our storage stuff put away so we can set the office up downstairs. I have gone through the newborn clothes and started washing clothes for Tate when he gets home. I’m enjoying getting ready for him to be here, but still having to come to terms with the fact that our hospital stay is probably only about half over. But so far it has gone really quick -it has to since we’re so busy driving back and forth from the hospital, taking care of Hudson, working and everything else we need to do that we hardly have time to sleep!

No comments: