Allow me to introduce myself to those of you – which is most everyone so far – that I haven’t got to meet. I’m Tate Christian Stinemetz. I was born Tuesday, November 16th and weighed 2 pounds, 13 ounces and was 15 inches long. We’ll get to more about me later but first let me update you on everything going on in my family this past year.
There might have been a few things to note in the first part of the year – but it really all starts in April, which is when Mommy and Daddy found out about the exciting news of my upcoming arrival. They decided to keep it a secret till after Hudson’s 2nd birthday – and what a birthday it was. Hudson had a basketball birthday party including a basketball cake and cupcakes and a basketball piñata. It was a lot of fun even if no one knew I was there! Hudson continues to amaze everyone with his vocabulary and speech. Most people can’t believe he’s only two years old when they hear him talk. He also has a great memory and is turning into a funny, rambunctious two year old. He’s very into wrestling these days and I can’t wait to get big enough to jump in there with him and stir up some trouble. He is very excited about being a BIG brother.
After a few weeks they finally started telling people about me. Everyone was convinced I was a girl but I proved them all wrong. Daddy and Hudson were the only ones who thought I was a boy – even Mommy thought I was going to be a girl because she felt a lot better this pregnancy than she did with Hudson. (That’s just because I’m such a good boy - sometimes!)
We had a busy summer. Mommy and Daddy celebrated their 10th wedding anniversary and then Mommy celebrated the BIG 30. Daddy threw her a surprise party and did a good job pulling it off – she was totally surprised. Daddy also celebrated two years of being a small business owner. He likes being his own boss and having the flexibility of setting his own hours. It came in pretty handy when I decided to come into the world a little earlier than expected. In addition to all that, Mommy and Daddy decided to potty train Hudson before I came along so they spent all summer asking Hudson “Do you need to go potty?” I think we all got sick of that phrase but I guess Hudson did really good cause by the end of the summer he was fully potty trained and now he doesn’t even wear a diaper at night. Mommy says that means he’s a big boy and to celebrate Daddy built him a big boy bed. I thought it was about time. I was getting worried as to where I was going to sleep when I got here, but Daddy worked hard and got it built, sanded, painted and set up in Hudson’s room- just a few days before I was born.
The rest of the summer was spent hitting homeruns, driving golf balls in the front yard, scoring soccer goals, shooting free throws, pitching fast balls, punting footballs and doing cannonballs into the pool. Hudson was having so much fun and I was just stuck inside Mommy’s tummy. It wasn’t fair to hear them laughing and playing and not get to join in the fun.
One day I was practicing some of my soccer kicks (can’t let Hudson get too far ahead of me!) and I got myself in a bad position in Mommy’s tummy. Mommy said it’s called breech. She wasn’t too happy about it. She tried all sorts of silly stuff to try and get me to move (like hanging upside down on the ironing board as it was resting against the couch, putting headphones on her tummy to make me move towards the music and even icepacks on my head to try and make me move) but I was stuck in there good. Believe me, if I could have moved, I would have. It wasn’t very comfortable for me or Mommy.
I missed out on all that fun during the summer and then everyone started talking about Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up - all that turkey and mashed potatoes and all the lights and presents. I decided I didn’t want to miss out on anymore of the fun! But let me tell you. So far, it’s been BORING.
I broke Mommy’s water (I was just practicing my punt returns and accidentally kicked the wrong button.) on Saturday night but I guess it wasn’t actually time for me to come out yet. They put her in the hospital and gave her medicine to try and keep me in as long as possible, but three days later I arrived (via a cesarean since I was breech). Thankfully they had time to give Mommy two shots of steroids to help my lungs develop. I came out crying and although I was a little small for my gestational age – little guys are tough! – I haven’t had to have any oxygen or respiratory support which is pretty amazing for a 31 week preemie. Mommy calls me her “little miracle.” Since I was nine weeks early I have to live in this place called the NICU. They won’t let me go home and I haven’t even got to meet Hudson yet. All I’m allowed to do is lie in my bed and sleep so that I can grow bigger and bigger. I’m five weeks old and weigh five pounds now!
At first Mommy and Daddy could only hold me for 30 minutes, 2 times a day. Now they can hold me more than that but not usually more than an hour at a time, 2-3 times a day. I love to snuggle with Mommy but my favorite time of the day is at night when my Daddy comes to see me. Mommy says I’m a Daddy’s boy because I always open my eyes when I hear his voice. Lately they have been waking me up from my naps and sticking all sorts of things in my mouth. Mommy says I’m supposed to eat that way. I didn’t really like it at first until Mommy told me they would take this tube out of my nose once I figured it out, so I’m working on it. I hate this tube in my nose. I keep pulling it out but then those nurses just stick it right back in. The doctors said I can go home once I take all 8 of my feedings from the bottle. I really want to get home to play some basketball with Hudson. He promised to teach me how to shoot a three pointer.
We’ll be celebrating Christmas and New Year’s here in the NICU but I should be able to go home a week or two after that. (They say by my original due date – January 15th.) Mommy, Daddy and Hudson are all really excited for me to come home so we can be a family. But in the meantime, Mommy and Daddy say they are just grateful for God’s blessings (That’s me!) and everyone’s love, prayers and support while I’m here. We are looking forward to a happy and exciting new year and wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy 2011!
Love,
Tate
Do Not Worry
8 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment